Thursday 29 April 2010

My understanding of diplomacy today

In the beginning of this module I have known the definition of the new diplomacy but it is dishonest to say that I knew all the contents of the module. For instance, although I knew in new diplomacy citizens are playing a more active role but I did not have any idea about how are we playing an active role. Later on I have found out even with supporting NGO’s we can participate in it. So it is something that I have discovered throughout the module.Also with the public diplomacy; I did not know that public diplomacy is a diplomacy which can be used to change foreign citizens’ opinions and for this there are different strategies has been used, such as after 9/11 America’s calling people all around the world to fight with terror. In addition to that, in the beginning of the module I was thinking the embassies are the major representatives of a state but then I have learned that with globalizing world and improving technology, such as internet, conference calls and ease up the travelling, there has been a decrease on the importance of the embassies roles within the international relations. Moreover, there has been new players in the game, the NGO’s, and their impact on the diplomacy can not be denied even sometimes they are more effective than the governments because of being global. Here I have tried to sum up what have been changed since february in my opinions about the new diplomacy and what I have learned throughout the module.

No comments:

Post a Comment