Thursday 18 February 2010

Seminar Readings for week 2

Hey, this is my first blog so not sure if I'm doing it right!

I just wanted to recommend the David Davenport article from the Policy Review Journal, titled 'The New Diplomacy'. It is on the reading list under - Diplomacy Old and New, and can be found online through the library (there is a link on the page).
The article focuses mainly on the concept of new diplomacy and provides an easy-to-follow account of where it came from and why it was necessary, and also the differences between old and new methods; technology, NGO's, media etc. Also, it uses two case studies to illustrate the points being made - The Ottawa Convention and The Treaty of Rome. Of these two I found the Ottawa Convention the most useful in helping me to understand the role of new diplomacy (it also comes first in the article).
I'm not a huge fan of political jargon when trying to read academic texts, but I found this article easy to digest and interesting.
Hope this helps!
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment