Saturday 1 May 2010

My understanding of Diplomacy today

My initial understanding of diplomacy was a mixture of Old and New Diplomacy. I had a vague image of diplomacy characterized by secrecy, high and low politics and several actors. Throughout this module I feel that this vague image of mine has become quite clear. Firstly, I have learned about the history of diplomacy and how it has evolved. I find it incredibly interesting that diplomacy has continuously adapted itself to changes in the system of international relations. Secondly, I have gained a greater understanding of the role of NGO’s and the difference in how they are greeted by developed and developing states. While NGO’s have increased in importance, it is still clear that their ability to act is based on how far nation-states allow them to. Third, I have gained knowledge about how multi-lateral conferences actually work and the immense work that goes into it, both before and after, by diplomats. For me personally, the most interesting aspect that I have studied has been diplomacy within the European Union. It fascinates me that though there has been a domestication of foreign relations amongst member states, the functions of European Union Bilateral Missions remain inevitable, though for different reasons. Furthermore, I am intrigued by the way in which the Commission’s external delegates have, through developing a niche, introduced both consumer-oriented and structural diplomacy. I don’t believe that my opinions about the role of diplomacy in world politics have changed much. However, I now have, after studying diplomacy, even more respect for the role and function of diplomats.

1 comment:

  1. Those are important points. Could you perhaps say a bit more about what you mean by "consumer-oriented and structural diplomacy"? It sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete